Approximately thirty students from an ashram school situated in the Bhandara district of eastern Maharashtra were hospitalized due to suspected food poisoning, as confirmed by an official on Friday.
This incident transpired at the Yerali Ashram School, which is located in Tumsar town, on Thursday.
According to statements provided to PTI, Milind Somkuwar, the health officer for Bhandara district, reported, “Several students attending the ashram school exhibited symptoms such as vomiting, abdominal discomfort, and fever on Thursday. In response, a group from the district health department conducted a comprehensive assessment of 325 students who reside within the school’s hostel.” Out of this group, 30 students were subsequently admitted to the sub-district hospital in Tumsar to receive medical treatment.
“We are inclined to consider this a likely case of food poisoning since the students fell ill following the consumption of meals served to them at the hostel,” he stated. Additionally, he assured that all affected students are now in stable condition and are anticipated to be released from the hospital shortly.
Milind Somkuwar conveyed that samples of both food and water have been collected by the health department for thorough testing.
Ashram schools are educational institutions that provide accommodation and education up to the secondary level specifically to children belonging to tribal communities.